Definition of Genus equisetum
1. Noun. Horsetails; coextensive with the family Equisetaceae.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Equisetaceae, Family Equisetaceae, Horsetail Family
Member holonyms: Horsetail
Genus Equisetum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Equisetum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Equisetum
Literary usage of Genus equisetum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"... the Equis- etales, consists of the single family Equisetaceae and comprises at the present time the single genus Equisetum with 25 to 30 rather uniform, ..."
2. Journal of Applied Microscopy by Bausch & Lomb Optical Company (1899)
"This paper is devoted to the develop- pl. 26-30, 1899. and Affinities of the genus equisetum. ment and structure of ..."
3. Fossil Plants: A Text-book for Students of Botany and Geology by Albert Charles Seward (1898)
"In the single living genus Equisetum, the outer coat of the mature spore forms two ... The genus Equisetum L., the common Horse-tail, is the sole living ..."
4. The Anatomy of Woody Plants by Edward Charles Jeffrey (1917)
"Its organization can best be discussed in connection with that of the root of the living genus Equisetum. FIG. 192.—Transverse section of stem of Equisetum ..."
5. The Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales by Linnean Society of New South Wales (1884)
"... is of opinion that even the genus Equisetum was present in the coal formation. Of its presence in the mesozoic strata he says there can be no doubt, ..."
6. Rhodora by New England Botanical Club (1907)
"In this series of papers numbers 10 to 17 bear the title THE genus equisetum IN NORTH AMERICA. 14. NOTES ON A PECULIAR BOTRYCHIUM. ..."