Definition of Genus goodyera
1. Noun. Genus of small orchids of the northern hemisphere with creeping rhizomes and stalked ovate leaves and small flowers.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Helleborine, Rattlesnake Plantain
Genus Goodyera Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Goodyera Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Goodyera
Literary usage of Genus goodyera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Orchids of New England: A Popular Monograph by Henry Ives Baldwin (1884)
"... observed by me is there so near an approach to the formation of a true stalk, and it is curious that in this genus, Goodyera, alone, the pollen-grains ..."
2. Orchidaceae: Illustrations and Studies of the Family Orchidaceae by Oakes Ames (1908)
"... I have adopted the generic name Epipactis of Boehmer for those species which have been heretofore improperly placed in the genus Goodyera of R. Brown. ..."
3. The Florist and Pomologist: A Pictorial Monthly Magazine of Flowers, Fruits by Robert Hogg (1866)
"... as forming with that plant a very natural section of the genus Goodyera. For garden purposes it will be very welcome, because, with much of the beauty ..."
4. Genera plantarum ad exemplaria imprimis in herbariis kewensibus servata definita by George Bentham, Joseph Dalton Hooker (1883)
"Thou. Orch. Iles A fr. tab. syn. 1, t. 29. Moore in Baker, Fl. Maurit. 340 (Goodyera nuda, Thou.). genus goodyera: affine quidem, ..."