Definition of Genus paphiopedilum
1. Noun. Horticulturally important genus of mainly terrestrial orchids including many hybrids; southeastern Asia and Indonesia to Philippines and Solomon Islands; Paphiopedilum species sometimes included in genus Cypripedium.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Venus' Slipper, Venus's Shoe, Venus's Slipper
Genus Paphiopedilum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Paphiopedilum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Paphiopedilum
Literary usage of Genus paphiopedilum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1902)
"... has been separated by some botanists as a distinct genus, Paphiopedilum, which is now sometimes found in horticultural writings. ..."
2. Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society by Royal Horticultural Society (Great Britain). (1900)
"... genus Paphiopedilum (Pfitz), better known in gardens as Cypripedium, partly because hybridisation has been carried farther in this genus than in many ..."
3. Variation in Animals and Plants by Horace Middleton Vernon (1903)
"... inter se some 30 distinct species and 53 distinct hybrids in the genus Paphiopedilum (Pfitz),and has . . . carefully recorded no less than 849 crosses. ..."
4. Variations in Animals and Plants by Horace Middleton Vernon (1902)
"... inter se some 30 distinct species and 53 distinct hybrids in the genus Paphiopedilum (Pfitz), and has . . . carefully recorded no less than 849 crosses. ..."