Definition of Genus sansevieria
1. Noun. Old World tropical herbaceous perennial of the agave family; in some classifications considered a genus of Liliaceae.
Group relationships: Agavaceae, Agave Family, Family Agavaceae, Sisal Family
Member holonyms: Bowstring Hemp, Sansevieria
Genus Sansevieria Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Sansevieria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Sansevieria
Literary usage of Genus sansevieria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Cyclopedia of American Agriculture: A Popular Survey of Agricultural by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1907)
"The name "bowstring hemp " is applied to most of the fibers obtained from the leaves of a dozen or more species of the genus Sansevieria of the Lily family. ..."
2. Travels in the Coastlands of British East Africa and the Islands of Zanzibar by William Walter Augustine Fitzgerald (1898)
"... Thunb., is the species on which the genus Sansevieria was first constituted by Thun- berg in the year 1794. The leaf is nearly flat, and does not reach ..."
3. Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden by New York Botanical Garden (1908)
"... will be found on the south bench, and these are much used for ornamental planting in the tropics ; here also are plants of the genus Sansevieria, ..."
4. Tropical Agriculture: The Climate, Soils, Cultural Methods, Crops, Live by Earley Vernon Wilcox (1916)
"BOWSTRING HEMP Bowstring hemp belongs to the lily family, of which several species of the genus Sansevieria have come to be known by this name. ..."