Definition of Genus sisyrinchium
1. Noun. Chiefly North American grasslike herbs.
Generic synonyms: Liliid Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Iridaceae, Iridaceae, Iris Family
Member holonyms: Blue-eyed Grass
Genus Sisyrinchium Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Sisyrinchium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Sisyrinchium
Literary usage of Genus sisyrinchium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Scientific Papers of Asa Gray by Asa Gray (1889)
"... but this did not debar Linnaeus from the subsequent application of the name to a new genus. Sisyrinchium of Tournefort being included in Iris, ..."
2. Henderson's Handbook of Plants and General Horticulture by Peter Henderson (1904)
"The genus Sisyrinchium. Russe'lia. Named in honor of Dr. Alexander Runnel, author of a Natural History of Aleppo. Nat. ..."
3. The Natural History of Plants: Their Forms, Growth, Reproduction, and by Anton Kerner von Marilaun (1902)
"... of the genus Sisyrinchium, and those Composites whose capitula are furnished with ligulate florets (Crépis, Hieracium, ..."
4. The Magazine of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries and by C M Hovey (1842)
"... though closely allied to the genus Sisyrinchium. The flowers are not very showy, but when examined, ..."
5. Botanisches Zentralblatt: Referierendes Organ für das Gesamtgebiet der Botanik by Botanischer Verein in München, Deutsche Botanische Gesellschaft, Berlin (1901)
"Verf. fasst in vorliegender Publikation das genus sisyrinchium in engerem Sinne, indem er es auf die blaublütigen Arten, die „blue-eyed grasses" beschränkt; ..."