Definition of Genus sobralia
1. Noun. Genus of tropical American orchids.
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Sobralia
Genus Sobralia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Sobralia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Sobralia
Literary usage of Genus sobralia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society by Royal Horticultural Society (Great Britain). (1886)
"The genus Sobralia is almost the only other popular one of the section. It was, however, hardly in bloom at the time of the exhibition, ..."
2. Longman's Magazine by Charles James Longman (1893)
"Perhaps the most conspicuous example of this is found in the genus Sobralia, some species of which grow so high as to form impenetrable thickets on the ..."
3. The Floricultural Cabinet, and Florists Magazine by Joseph Harrison (1848)
"... and very showy, being of a deep rich crimson-purple colour. " The genus Sobralia," Dr. Lindley observes, in his Sertum ..."
4. The American Botanist edited by Willard Nelson Clute (1906)
"All the orchids are herbs, seldom more than a few feet high, but in one tropical genus (Sobralia) they are erect and reach a height of nearly twenty feet. ..."
5. The Various Contrivances by which Orchids are Fertilised by Insects by Charles Darwin (1904)
"The genus Sobralia is allied to Vanilla, and Mr. Cavendish Browne informs me that he saw a large humble-bee enter a flower of 8. macrantha in his hothouse, ..."