Definition of Genus stelis
1. Noun. Genus of small caespitose orchids of tropical America.
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Stelis
Genus Stelis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Stelis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Stelis
Literary usage of Genus stelis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Orchidaceae: Illustrations and Studies of the Family Orchidaceae by Oakes Ames (1908)
"This compact little plant which, with some hesitation, is here referred to the genus Stelis Swartz, is most nearly allied with Stelis ..."
2. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1916)
"Maxwell, H., et al.—Scarcity of wasps, 10, xcix, 148-9. Sladen, FWL—Canadian species of the bee genus Stelis [l 11. subg., 1 n. sp.], 4, 1916, 312-14. ..."
3. Forestry Quarterly by New York State College of Forestry (1906)
"... more than two inches high, and having the most wonderful tiny flowers of dark red or white, or yellow-green. The genus Stelis was also well represented. ..."
4. The Entomologist; an Illustrated Journal of General Entomology by Edward Newman, Royal Entomological Society of London (1898)
"SYNOPSIS OF THE NORTH AMERICAN BEES OF THE genus stelis. BY TDA COCKERELL, NM Agr. Exp. Sta. THE North American species of ..."