Definition of Genus thrinax
1. Noun. Small to medium-sized fan palms.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Arecaceae, Family Arecaceae, Family Palmaceae, Family Palmae, Palm Family, Palmaceae, Palmae
Member holonyms: Broom Palm, Silver Thatch, Thatch Palm, Thatch Tree, Thrinax Parviflora, Key Palm, Silver Thatch, Silvertop Palmetto, Thrinax Keyensis, Thrinax Microcarpa, Thrinax Morrisii
Genus Thrinax Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Thrinax Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Thrinax
Literary usage of Genus thrinax
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1899)
"As a result he has divided the genus Thrinax, which now includes three species, one of which is here described as new, ..."
2. The Tree Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Trees of North America by Julia Ellen Rogers (1905)
"Genus THRINAX, Sw. The Thatch, or Silk-top Palmetto (Thrinax Floridana, Sarg.) has a silver lining in its glossy green fan leaves, ..."
3. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1900)
"... was impressed upon my attention while observing a palm of the genus Thrinax, which had been infested with the so-called ' red-spider ' (Tetranychus'). ..."
4. Report of the Secretary for Agriculture by United States Dept. of Agriculture (1876)
"... and one endogen, a Palm of the genus Thrinax. I wish to record my sincere thanks to the Hon. F. Watts, Commissioner, and to Mr. William ..."
5. Things in General (1877)
"The genus Thrinax has a species called Argentea of the West Indian Isles, which yields the materials for what are known as "chip-hats," largely manufactured ..."