Definition of Genus xiphias
1. Noun. Type genus of the Xiphiidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Xiphiidae, Xiphiidae
Member holonyms: Swordfish, Xiphias Gladius
Genus Xiphias Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Xiphias Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Xiphias
Literary usage of Genus xiphias
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Maryland Geological Survey by Maryland Geological Survey (1901)
"Genus XIPHIAS Linnaeus. Fragmentary remains of Sword-fishes have been met with from time to time in various Tertiary horizons, but in most cases are ..."
2. Reports Dealing with the Systematic Geology and Paleontology of Maryland by Maryland Geological Survey (1904)
"... and as for the fans, since they in all likelihood belonged to some of the Sword-fish tribe, they may be provisionally assigned to the genus Xiphias. ..."
3. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"Genus XIPHIAS Linneus. Sword-fishes. Characters of the genus noted above. (Xiphias, ancient Greek name for the sword-fish, from xiphos, a sword.) 168. ..."
4. The Monthly Review by Ralph Griffiths (1804)
"The general appearance of Scomber gladius of Bloch may apologize for its transference to the genus Xiphias i yet the ..."
5. Report and Transactions of the Devonshire Association for the Advancement of (1875)
"GENUS, XIPHIAS, Linn. GLADIUS, Linn. Tar., i. 143; Couch, ii. t. 97, p. 145. Sword-fiah. Very rare in our seas. Mr. Reading informs me that a specimen had ..."
6. Guide to the Gallery of Fishes in the Department of Zoology of the British by William George Ridewood (1908)
"The Sword-fishes of the genus Xiphias are of world-wide distribution, and have no pelvic tins; they have transverse processes to the ..."