Definition of Genus xylaria
1. Noun. Type genus of Xylariaceae; fungi with perithecia in the upper part of erect black woody stromata.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Genus
Group relationships: Family Xylariaceae, Xylariaceae
Member holonyms: Black Root Rot Fungus, Xylaria Mali, Dead-man's-fingers, Dead-men's-fingers, Xylaria Polymorpha
Genus Xylaria Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Xylaria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Xylaria
Literary usage of Genus xylaria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1871)
"... with the perithecia immersed in it at the upper part, it forms the genus Xylaria. If this club or stalk be fleshy, white or red it is a Cordyceps. ..."
2. The Intellectual Observer (1867)
"... of shapeless dark bodies appeared, one of which, when coaxed into its complete development, proved to be an undescribed fungus of the genus Xylaria. ..."
3. Scottish Cryptogamic Flora, Or, Coloured Figures and Descriptions of ...by Robert Kaye Greville by Robert Kaye Greville (1824)
"... and I have adopted the genus Xylaria from HILL and from SCHRANK. It divides naturally enough into two sections, as the species are either more or less ..."
4. Measuring and Monitoring Biodiversity in Tropical and Temperate Forests by Timothy James Butler Boyle, B. Boontawee (1995)
"If the ascomycete genus Xylaria was chosen to represent diversity in tropical rainforests, then the results might be misleading. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Genus xylaria