Definition of Gleichenia
1. Noun. Type genus of Gleicheniaceae: leptosporangiate ferns with sessile sporangia; South Africa to Malaysia and New Zealand.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Family Gleicheniaceae, Gleicheniaceae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gleichenia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gleichenia
Literary usage of Gleichenia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Maryland Geological Survey by Maryland Geological Survey (1916)
"In sharp contrast is the beautiful gleichenia material obtained by Professor ... The genus gleichenia was a prominent one during the Cretaceous with many ..."
2. Reports Dealing with the Systematic Geology and Paleontology of Maryland by Maryland Geological Survey (1916)
"It is doubtfully referable to gleichenia, to which such a large number of ... The most similar among previously described species is, perhaps, gleichenia ..."
3. The Origin of a Land Flora: A Theory Based Upon the Facts of Alternation by Frederick Orpen Bower (1908)
"The disposition of the sori is fundamentally as in gleichenia, in a single series on either side of the midrib of the pinnule ; but the regularity of the ..."
4. The Philippine Journal of Science by Institute of Science and Technology (Philippines) (1907)
"There is also on Mount Apo a plant hardly as scaly as gleichenia ... gleichenia dolosa Copel. On steep semi-forested slopes of ridge at 1900 in. alt. (No. ..."
5. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1903)
"gleichenia saundersii sp. nov. Fig. 1-3. In the flora of the Matawan formation I called especial attention to the total absence of ferns in that formation. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Gleichenia