Definition of Glomerular capsule
1. Noun. Thin double membrane surrounding the glomerulus of a nephron.
Group relationships: Malpighian Body, Malpighian Corpuscle, Renal Corpuscle
Generic synonyms: Membrane, Tissue Layer
Medical Definition of Glomerular capsule
1. The expanded beginning of a nephron composed of an inner and outer layer: the visceral layer consists of podocytes which surround a tuft of capillaries (glomerulus); the parietal layer is simple squamous epithelium which becomes cuboidal at the tubular pole. Synonym: capsula glomeruli, Bowman's capsule, malpighian capsule, Muller's capsule. (05 Mar 2000)
Glomerular Capsule Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Glomerular Capsule Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Glomerular Capsule
Literary usage of Glomerular capsule
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of Medical Research by American Association of Pathologists and Bacteriologists (1901)
"Microscopic examination: The glomeruli show fibrosis and hyaline degeneration, many of them are adherent to the glomerular capsule. ..."
2. A Practical treatise on urinary and renal diseases: Illustrated by Numerous by William Roberts (1885)
"Varied experiments have now placed it beyond doubt that the albumen is, for the greater part at least, poured out in the glomerular capsule. ..."
3. A Text-book of Histology: Arranged Upon an Embryological Basis by Frederic Thomas Lewis, Philipp Stöhr (1913)
"... their characteristic features will now be considered, beginning with the glomerular capsule. The glomerular capsule (of Bowman) consists of two layers. ..."
4. Contributions to Medical Research: Dedicated to Victor Clarence Vaughan by by University of Michigan (1903)
"The same cannot be stated as regards the discriminating power of the glomerular capsule; the only grounds on which this has been suggested is a supposed ..."
5. Anatomy of the Human Body by Henry Gray (1918)
"In the neck the epithelium is continuous with that lining the glomerular capsule, and like it consists of flattened cells each containing an oval nucleus ..."
6. The Practitioner by Gale Group, ProQuest Information and Learning Company (1884)
"This is the most marked type of chronic inflammation of the glomerular capsule. The most advanced degree of subacute or chronic inflammation of the ..."
7. The Anatomic Histological Process of Bright's Disease and Their Relation to by Horst Oertel (1910)
"... exudation into the glomeruli, and a parenchymatous degeneration of the epithelium of the convoluted tubules. The glomerular capsule appears usually ..."