Definition of Glossodia
1. Noun. Small genus of Australian orchids.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Tongue-flower, Tongueflower
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Glossodia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Glossodia
Literary usage of Glossodia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Flora australiensis: a description of the plants of the Australian territory. by George Bentham, Ferdinand von Mueller (1873)
"Sepals and petals nearly equal, all obtuse and and numerous, in longitudinal rows. glossodia, but the calli of the ... 2193 (mixed with glossodia ..."
2. The Various Contrivances by which Orchids are Fertilized by Insects by Charles Darwin (1889)
"The former conclusion does not agree with my dissections ; about glossodia I know nothing. The two infertile stamens of the outer whorl (A2, ..."
3. An Epitome of the Second Edition of Hortus Kewensis by William Townsend Aiton (1814)
"if alba, white. NS Wales. 1810 vu,viü. glossodia, glossodia. Я. К vp 203. • if major, larger. NS Wales. 1810 PTEROSTYLIS, PTEROSTYLIS. Я. K. vp 204. ..."
4. The Monthly Review by Ralph Griffiths (1814)
"... referred to Pogonia of Jussieu, four plants from New Holland succeed, all constituting as many genera, which are named Caladenia, glossodia, ..."