Definition of Guiana
1. Noun. A geographical region of northeastern South America including Guyana and Surinam.
Terms within: British Guiana, Co-operative Republic Of Guyana, Guyana, Dutch Guiana, Netherlands Guiana, Republic Of Suriname, Surinam, Suriname
Group relationships: South America
Definition of Guiana
1. Proper noun. A geological region in the north of South America. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Guiana Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Guiana
Literary usage of Guiana
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"guiana (or GUAYANA) was the name given to all that region of South America which extends along the Atlantic coast from the Orinoco to the Amazon. ..."
2. Encyclopaedia Britannica, a Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"guiana is formed almost entirely of gneiss and crystal- 1 See CB ... In British guiana a scries of conglomerates, red and white sandstone and red shale, ..."
3. The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"As early as 1580 the Dutch had established a systematic trade with the Spanish main, but so far as is known their first voyage to guiana was in 1598. ..."
4. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1896)
"In the elucidation of the question of the limits of British guiana, the special light ... The guiana maps are naturally divided into four groups—first, ..."
5. International Catalogue of Scientific Literature by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1907)
"French and Dutch guiana. Schaus, W. Washington, DU, Smithsonian Inst., Nation. Mus. ... French guiana. Schans, WIe (208). nn. spp. Bolivia, Peru. ..."
6. An Historical and Statistical Account of the Foreign Commerce of the United by Isaac Smith Homans (1857)
"FRENCH guiana. The Island of Cayenne, at the mouth of the Oyak, ... Besides the staples of British and Dutch guiana, its productions comprise pepper ..."
7. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1909)
"guiana: A district of northeastern South America between the Atlantic Ocean, Brazil, and Venezuela. Colonization began about 1620 by the French and Dutch, ..."