Definition of Gulyas
1. Noun. A rich meat stew highly seasoned with paprika.
Generic synonyms: Stew
Specialized synonyms: Beef Goulash, Pork-and-veal Goulash, Porkholt
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gulyas Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gulyas
gulyas (current term)
Literary usage of Gulyas
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Austria, Vienna, Hungary, Bohemia and the Danube, Galicia, Styria, Moravia by Johann Georg Kohl (1843)
"... is employed in writing down his religious contemplations and prayers, of which he has already published a volume. THE MORASS OF HANSAG AND THE gulyas. ..."
2. Struggling for Ethnic Identity: The Gypsies of Hungary by Gyorgy Feher, Holly Cartner, Lois Whitman (1993)
"In the ensuing fight, which was joined by a number of supporters on both sides, Mr. gulyas suffered a cut to his head. The brawl was ended when the police ..."
3. The Immigrant Tide: Its Ebb and Flow by Edward Alfred Steiner (1909)
"The steaming gulyas was on the tables, beer and wine awaited the thirsty guests ... My companion looked askance at the bowls of gulyas with its red gravy; ..."
4. Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England by Royal Agricultural Society of England (1874)
"It is not safe for a stranger to approach them, and such a proceeding would be very rash without the protection of the gulyas. The ox is undoubtedly ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Gulyas