Definition of Gutierrezia
1. Noun. Sticky perennial herbs and subshrubs of western North America and warm South America.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Aster Family, Asteraceae, Compositae, Family Asteraceae, Family Compositae
Member holonyms: Matchbush, Matchweed, Broom Snakeroot, Broom Snakeweed, Gutierrezia Sarothrae, Rabbit-weed, Rabbitweed, Snakeweed, Turpentine Weed, Broom-weed, Broomweed, Gutierrezia Texana
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gutierrezia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gutierrezia
Literary usage of Gutierrezia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pittonia by Edward Lee Greene (1905)
"... gathered out of as many différent and often widely separated climatic regions, are all but so many modifications of " gutierrezia ..."
2. Bulletin by United States Bureau of Plant Industry, Division of Plant Industry, Queensland (1911)
"If after short grass is turned under the gutierrezia-Artemisia type of vegetation becomes established it is probable that in the deeper layers of the soil ..."
3. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1898)
"gutierrezia Sarothrae (Pursh) Britt. and Rusby. gutierrezia. (Fig. 3647. ... gutierrezia Sarothrae Britton & Rusby, Trans. NY Acad. Sei. 7: ю. 1887. ..."
4. Biodiversity and the Management of the Madrean Archipelago: The Sky Islands edited by Leonard F. DeBano (1999)
"Most striking is the elimination of gutierrezia sarothrae, a weedy native which increases rapidly with disturbance. The small tree Prosopis velutina is not ..."