Definition of Gymps
1. gymp [v] - See also: gymp
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gymps Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gymps
Literary usage of Gymps
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Parochial History of Cornwall: Founded on the Manuscript Histories of Mr by Davies Gilbert (1838)
"Adjoined to the word Fenton, and explained by the existing reality, gymps assuredly means what Mr. Tonkin says, not intermitting, but always flowing. ..."
2. The Mechanics' Magazine, Museum, Register, Journal, and Gazette (1850)
"... looped lace gymps in large numbers at i time, and either all plain, or some plain and some figured, and when figured, of diverse patterns. ..."
3. Iron edited by Sholto Percy, Perry Fairfax Nursey (1850)
"\Ve produce also by the peculiar jack-machine, just described, looped lace gymps in large numbers at a time, and either all plain, or some plain and some ..."
4. Newton's London Journal of Arts and Sciences: Being Record of the Progress by William Newton, Charles Frederick Partington (1848)
"THIS invention consists, firstly, in printing fringes made of silk twist or sewings, and fringes made of linen, and in printing silk gymps; and secondly, ..."
5. The Monthly Review by Ralph Griffiths (1791)
"Mr. Hals of Fenton gymps, is another labourer in this bufi- nefs, to whom the public expectation, we are told, was directed about the i5th year of the ..."
6. Official Descriptive and Illustrated Catalogue by Robert Ellis, Great Britain Commissioners for the Exhibition of 1851, London Great exhibition of the works of industry of all nations, 1851 (1851)
"Fringes, Tassels, gymps, &c., suitable as Trimmings 2. Ditto for Dresses and other fine Work. for Upholstery. ..."
7. Satirical Poems of the Time of the Reformation by Robert Sempill, Thomas Churchyard (1893)
"—Lyndsay, ' Ane Dialog,' l. 1376. 123. Blind Jamie. Probably one of the city "characters" of the time. 132. gymps = tricks, jests. 137. ..."