Definition of Hair ball
1. Noun. A compact mass of hair that forms in the alimentary canal (especially in the stomach of animals as a result of licking fur).
Medical Definition of Hair ball
1. A hair cast in the stomach or intestinal tract, common in cats. Synonym: hair ball, pilobezoar. Origin: tricho-+ bezoar (05 Mar 2000)
Hair Ball Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hair Ball Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hair Ball
Literary usage of Hair ball
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics by The American College of Surgeons, Franklin H. Martin Memorial Foundation (1915)
"Radiograph of Dr. CT Holland's second case of hair ball in the stomach. "Shortly after swallowing/a breakfast cupful of the contrast meal the whole stomach ..."
2. A Descriptive and Illustrated Catalogue of the Calculi and Other Animal by Thomas Taylor (1845)
"A small hair-ball, made up of long black and white hairs. ... A hair-ball of a light brown colour, having a rude triangular figure. From a Cow. ..."
3. The Writings of Mark Twain [pseud.] by Mark Twain, Charles Dudley Warner (1899)
"I said it was pretty bad money, but maybe the hair-ball would take it, because maybe it wouldn't know the difference. Jim smelt it and bit it and rubbed it, ..."