Definition of Half-blooded
1. Adjective. (of animals) having only one purebred parent.
Category relationships: Animal, Animate Being, Beast, Brute, Creature, Fauna
Similar to: Crossbred
Definition of Half-blooded
1. Adjective. (genetics) having only one parent in common ¹
2. Adjective. (genetics) having parents of mixed ethnicities ¹
3. Adjective. (context: animals) having only one parent that comes from known pedigree ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Half-blooded
1. 1. Proceeding from a male and female of different breeds or races; having only one parent of good stock; as, a half-blooded sheep. 2. Degenerate; mean. Source: Websters Dictionary (01 Mar 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Half-blooded Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Half-blooded
Literary usage of Half-blooded
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. United States Statutes at Large: Containing the Laws and Concurrent by United States (1846)
"To Ann Turner, a half-blooded Miami, one section of land on the northwest side ... To William Wayne Wells, a half-blooded Miami, one section of land, ..."
2. Diary of Thomas Robbins, D. D., 1796-1854 by Thomas Robbins (1886)
"Dined at my brother Nat's, with a considerable company, on a half-blooded merino lamb.1 It was pronounced by some to be quite as good, by some, ..."
3. Judicial and Statutory Definitions of Words and Phrases by West Publishing Company (1904)
"half-blooded MERINO WOOL. A promissory note payable in "half-blooded merino wool" is not complied with by the delivery of wool of which a portion is of a ..."
4. The Lone-star of Liberia: Being the Outcome of Reflections on Our Own People by Frederick Alexander Durham (1892)
"Or must the half- blooded African go to South or Central America, as Laird Clowes suggests ? Neither South nor Central America, no matter what part, ..."
5. The Letters of Daniel Webster: From Documents Owned Principally by the New by Daniel Webster (1902)
"There are now 51 half-blood Leicesters—13 half-blood South Downs—12 half-blood Merinos— 1 full blooded Leicester Buck 4 half blooded, do. ..."
6. An American Glossary by Richard Hopwood Thornton (1912)
"1782 Stolen, the following Creatures, viz. one a bay Horse, the other a half-blooded black Mare.—Id., July 30. 1783 A likely dark bay mare, ..."
7. The London Encyclopaedia, Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art by Thomas Tegg (1829)
"half-blooded fellow, yes. Id. There shall be in England seven halfpenny loaves sold for a penny. Id. Many might go to heaven »ith half the labour they ge to ..."