Definition of Hardening of the arteries
1. Noun. Sclerosis of the arterial walls.
Specialized synonyms: Atherosclerosis, Coronary Artery Disease, Arteriosclerosis Obliterans
Generic synonyms: Induration, Sclerosis
Derivative terms: Arteriosclerotic
Hardening Of The Arteries Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hardening Of The Arteries Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hardening Of The Arteries
Literary usage of Hardening of the arteries
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"The term Arteriosclerosis or "hardening of the arteries" seems an inappropriate one ... hardening of the arteries is a very important diseased condition. ..."
2. The World Book: Organized Knowledge in Story and Picture edited by Michael Vincent O'Shea, Ellsworth D. Foster, George Herbert Locke (1917)
"For methods of checking the flow of blood from a cut artery see BLEEDING, subhead Arterial Bleeding. Hardening of the Arteries. Physicians declare that "a ..."
3. The Physiology of Faith and Fear: Or, The Mind in Health and Disease by William Samuel Sadler (1912)
"The faith state of mind is able, therefore, to lessen in a measure the hardening of the arteries, by its salutary influence upon the blood-pressure ; while ..."
4. Prevention of Disease and Care of the Sick: How to Keep Well and what to Do by William Gordon Stimpson, Milton Hugh Foster (1919)
"Reference is often made to hardening of the arteries, which is a- frequent ... When a general hardening of the arteries takes place throughout the body the ..."
5. Annotated Cases, American and English by H Noyes Greene, William Mark McKinney, David Shephard Garland (1916)
"The physician who attended the testator at the time of his death had known him for about ten years and testified that he had hardening of the arteries, ..."
6. Transactions of the Fifteenth International Congress on Hygiene and (1913)
"Heart disease and hardening of the arteries in nine times out of ten are, I believe, due to disturbances of the chemistry of the body. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Hardening of the arteries