Definition of Hebrew script
1. Noun. A Semitic alphabet used since the 5th century BC for writing the Hebrew language (and later for writing Yiddish and Ladino).
Generic synonyms: Alphabet, Unicameral Script
Member holonyms: Aleph, Beth, Gimel, Daleth, He, Waw, Zayin, Heth, Teth, Yodh, Kaph, Lamedh, Mem, Nun, Samekh, Ayin
Terms within: Pe, Sadhe, Qoph, Resh, Sin, Shin, Taw
Hebrew Script Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hebrew Script Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hebrew Script
Literary usage of Hebrew script
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1912)
"So that some centuries before Christ the Aramaic forms began to make their way into Palestine, and by the end of the second century the Old hebrew script ..."
2. The Old Testament and the New Scholarship by John Punnett Peters (1902)
"This was, presumably, done for the sake of beauty and clearness, both of which the square script possessed in a degree far exceeding the old hebrew script. ..."
3. The Literature of the Old Testament in Its Historical Development by Julius August Bewer (1922)
"This is how an old Hebrew manuscript looked, written in the earlier hebrew script, often without word or verse or chapter divisions, without vowels, ..."
4. The Samaritans, the Earliest Jewish Sect: Their History, Theology and Literature by James Alan Montgomery (1907)
"Both the Jews and the Samaritans speak of the elder script which the Samaritans preserved as the " hebrew script." The closeness of the Samaritan to the old ..."
5. Practical Handbook for the Study of the Bible and of Bible Literature by Michael Seisenberger (1911)
"(c) If they had received the Book of the Law long after the Captivity, through Harasses the priest, it could hardly have been in the old hebrew script, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Hebrew script