Definition of Helsingfors
1. Noun. The capital and largest city of Finland; located in southern Finland; a major port and commercial and cultural center.
Generic synonyms: Port, National Capital
Group relationships: Finland, Republic Of Finland, Suomi
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Helsingfors Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Helsingfors
Literary usage of Helsingfors
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Naturalists' Universal Directory: Containing names, addresses and by Samuel Edson Cassino (1896)
"Ex, Huit, R., Dr. Phil., Univ., Docent of Geog., helsingfors, Près. Geogr. Soc. of Finland. ... Engineer, helsingfors. J'ht/s., Elect* Malmgren, Prof. ..."
2. Contemporary Memoirs of Russia, from the Year 1727-1744 by Cristof Hermann Manstein (1856)
"The same evening that the Russian army arrived in the neighbourhood of helsingfors, a Finland peasant desired to speak with the marshal, and told him that ..."
3. Finland and the Finns by Arthur Reade (1917)
"CHAPTER IV LIFE IN helsingfors A HUNDRED years ago helsingfors WRB a mere village. ... The supremacy of helsingfors was finally confirmed by the disastrous ..."
4. Travels in Various Countries of Europe, Asia and Africa by Edward Daniel Clarke (1824)
"CHAP. IX. FROM ABO IN FINLAND, TO PETERSBURG IN RUSSIA. Journey from Abo to helsingfors— Description of Hel- singfors—Fortress of ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Helsingfors