Definition of Herb christopher
1. Noun. A plant of the genus Actaea having acrid poisonous berries.
Group relationships: Actaea, Genus Actaea
Terms within: Baneberry
Specialized synonyms: Actaea Rubra, Red Baneberry, Red-berry, Redberry, Snakeberry, Actaea Alba, Doll's Eyes, White Baneberry, White Bead, White Cohosh
Generic synonyms: Poisonous Plant
Herb Christopher Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Herb Christopher Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Herb Christopher
Literary usage of Herb christopher
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Hortus Kewensis; Or, A Catalogue of the Plants Cultivated in the Royal by William Aiton (1811)
"Common black-berried herb christopher, or White-berried herb christopher, ... Red-berried herb christopher. Nat. a of Britain, l3 and y of North America. ..."
2. Plant Names, Scientific and Popular, Including in the Case of Each Plant the by Albert Brown Lyons (1900)
"A. alba (L.) Mill. (A. spicata var. alba L.). British America, south to Georgia and Missouri. White Cohosh, White Bane- herry, herb christopher, ..."
3. A Practical Guide to Garden Plants by John Weathers (1901)
"... or herb christopher).—A native plant about 1 ft. high found on limestone copses. It has a stout black rootstock and leaves 2-3-ternately-pinnate and ..."
4. Sketches and Studies: Descriptive and Historical by Richard John King (1874)
"... an additional reason, perhaps, for regarding its far more beautiful cousin, our own royal fern (Osmunda regalis), the ' herb christopher ' of Gerard, ..."