Definition of Himantopus
1. Noun. Major one of two genera of stilts; similar to avocets but with straight bills.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Charadrii, Suborder Charadrii
Member holonyms: Himantopus Stilt, Long-legs, Longlegs, Stilt, Stilt Plover, Stiltbird, Black-necked Stilt, Himantopus Mexicanus, Black-winged Stilt, Himantopus Himantopus, Himantopus Himantopus Leucocephalus, White-headed Stilt, Himantopus Novae-zelandiae, Kaki
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Himantopus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Himantopus
Literary usage of Himantopus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1919)
"Upper parts light buffy grayish mottled with dusky, the back and rump with several large blotches of black; head, neck, a himantopus ..."
2. List of the Specimens of the British Animals in the Collection of the by George Robert Gray, James Francis Stephens, Adam White, Frederick Smith, Henry Denny, Henry Tibbats Stainton, Edwin Shepherd (1848)
"himantopus CANDIDUS. The Black-winged Stilt. Charadrius himantopus, Linn. SN ip 255. himantopus melanopterus, Temm. Man. d'Orn. (1820), ii. p. 528 ; Man. ..."
3. The Birds of America by John James] [Audubon (1843)
"himantopus, Briss. STILT. Bill about twice as long as the head, very slender, roundish, tapering, slightly recurved; upper mandible with its outline ..."
4. Argentine Ornithology: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Birds of the Argentine by Philip Lutley Sclater, William Henry Hudson (1889)
"himantopus nigricollis, Sunn. La-Plata Heine, ii. p. ... himantopus brasiliensis, Sci. et Salo. Nomencl. p. 144; iid. PZS 1878, p. 454; Durnford, Ibi*, 1877 ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Himantopus