¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Hognose
1. a nonvenomous snake [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hognose Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hognose
Literary usage of Hognose
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Encyclopædia Americana: A Popular Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature by Thomas Gamaliel Bradford (1838)
"... from a very numerous and wide acquaintance, a degree of personal regard and honor which few prelates of his age bad acquired. hognose SERPENT. ..."
2. The Future of Arid Grasslands: Identifying Issues, Seeking Solutions edited by Barbara Tellman (1999)
"Recorded in the valley from high bajada grassland near Chiricahua National Monument, and in the tobosa grassland area south of McNeal. WESTERN hognose ..."
3. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1904)
"Mr. EJ Brown collected in 1901, near Lemon City, two hognose snakes lacking the azygos shield between the inter- nasals. Fearing that they might be freaks ..."
4. Ecosystem Disturbance and Wildlife Conservation in Western Grasslands: A edited by Deborah M. Finch (1998)
"... snake Arizona elegans Western hognose snake Heterodon nasicus Inhabitants of sandy soils and water Woodhouse's toad Bufo woodhousei Inhabitants of trees ..."
5. Familiar Life in Field and Forest: The Animals, Birds, Frogs, and Salamanders by Ferdinand Schuyler Mathews (1898)
"He is the creature, too, who, so hard of hearing, was the occasion of that familiar and suggestive hognose snake, blowing adder, 30 inches. saying, ..."