Definition of Holy city
1. Noun. Phrases used to refer to Heaven. "The Celestial City was Christian's goal in Bunyan's `Pilgrim's Progress'"
Holy City Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Holy City Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Holy City
Literary usage of Holy city
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (1887)
"But the edict of Hadrian was renewed and enforced, and they viewed from afar the walls of the holy city, which were profaned in their eyes by the triumph of ..."
2. The Holy Bible ...by Canadian Bible Society by Canadian Bible Society (1851)
"... and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. SO He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly : Amen. ..."
3. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"While Europe was thunderstruck at the loss of the holy city, and was preparing a new crusade to recapture it, letters were sent to all parts of the Moslem ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"The pilgrims converge upon the holy city from three directions; those coming from the south are Mohammedans from Oceanica, Java, Sumatra, Indo-China, India, ..."
5. The Recovery of Jerusalem: A Narrative of Exploration and Discovery in the by Charles William Wilson, Charles Warren, Arthur Penrhyn Stanley, Richard Phené Spiers, Samuel Anderson, Greville John Chester, Frederick Whitmore Holland (1871)
"... CHAPTER X. THE holy city. OUR excavations in the city have established the certainty of a valley running down from the citadel to the Sanctuary. ..."
6. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: Giving the Derivation, Source, Or Origin of by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer (1898)
"(See holy city.) Holy League (The). A combination formed by Pope Julius II. with Louis XII. of France, Maximilian of Germany, Ferdinand III. of. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Holy city