Definition of Horned poppy
1. Noun. Yellow-flowered Eurasian glaucous herb naturalized in along sandy shores in eastern North America.
Generic synonyms: Flower
Group relationships: Genus Glaucium, Glaucium
Horned Poppy Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Horned Poppy Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Horned Poppy
Literary usage of Horned poppy
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Gardeners Dictionary: Containing the Methods of Cultivating and ...by Philip Miller by Philip Miller (1754)
"GLAUCIUM, The horned poppy. ... Yellow horned poppy. Blue-flower'd horned poppy. 3. ... horned poppy, with a large red Flower. ..."
2. Handbook of Foliage and Foreground Drawing by George Barnard (1884)
"THE horned poppy. GLAUCIUM LUTEUM. THE most careless rambler on the sea-beach would notice this plant. Its large rich yellow flowers, with the peculiar long ..."
3. The Ladies Flower-garden of Ornamental Annuals by Loudon (Jane) (1842)
"The horned poppy, in favourable situations, forms a large plant from two feet to three feet ... The CULTURE of the horned poppy requires very little care. ..."
4. A Topographical Account of the Hundred of Bosmere, in the County of by Charles John Longcroft (1857)
"YELLOW horned poppy. GALEOBDOLON, Luteum, yellow dead-nettle; found between Emsworth and Havant. BALLOTA, Nigra, stinking or black horehound; Emsworth. ..."