Definition of Horripilate
1. Verb. Have one's hair stand on end and get goosebumps. "I horripilate when I see violence on television"
2. Verb. Cause (someone's) hair to stand on end and to have goosebumps. "Hitchcock movies horripilate me"
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Horripilate Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Horripilate
Literary usage of Horripilate
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Adolescence: Its Psychology and Its Relations to Physiology, Anthropology by Granville Stanley Hall (1904)
"They have better homing instincts, estivate, hibernate, horripilate, breed faster, have far keener and probably other senses, excel us in speed ..."
2. Gillette's Industrial Solution: World Corporation; an Account of the by Melvin Linwood Severy (1908)
"... but mention to them his twin, Tweedle-dee, and forthwith their eyes will bulge, their flesh horripilate, and their hair assume a horrent aspect, ..."
3. A Dictionary in Assamese and English by Miles Bronson (1867)
"... ^*ff^T^^f1?, to horripilate or bristle up; to sneer, to make up faces, to show contempt by look. wry face, to mock, to sneer, to ridicule. ..."