Definition of Hudson
1. Noun. A New York river; flows southward into New York Bay; explored by Henry Hudson early in the 17th century.
Group relationships: Empire State, New York, New York State, Ny
Generic synonyms: River
2. Noun. English naturalist (born in Argentina) (1841-1922).
3. Noun. English navigator who discovered the Hudson River; in 1610 he attempted to winter in Hudson Bay but his crew mutinied and set him adrift to die (1565-1611).
Definition of Hudson
1. Proper noun. (rivers) A river in America that flows through New York into the Atlantic Ocean. ¹
2. Proper noun. Any of a number of places in the U.S.A. and elsewhere. ¹
3. Proper noun. (surname patronymic from=given names) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hudson Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hudson
Literary usage of Hudson
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of Geology by University of Chicago Department of Geology and Paleontology (1904)
"hudson water body and successive positions of ice-edge as it retreated through ... Successive positions of the ice-edge in the passages from hudson to Cham- ..."
2. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1909)
"hudson and his exploration of the hudson river, il. map. Sei. Am. 101: 210-1. S. 25, '09. ... Adventures of the wife and son of Henry hudson. MF hudson. 11. ..."
3. The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography by Historical Society of Pennsylvania (1892)
"Jane hudson, wife of "William hudson, departed this life in true peace y* 15th ... Mary hudson departed this life 1" of July, 1795. Susanna hudson departed ..."
4. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1891)
"hudson made a runaway match with his master's daughter, by whom he had one daughter who died ... As a portrait-painter hudson fully deserved his eminence, ..."
5. Annual Report by New Hampshire Railroad Commissioners (1907)
"hudson, PELHAM & SALEM STREET RAILWAY STOCK AND BONDS. ... That on Juiy 19, 1907, said hudson, Pelham & Salem Electric Railway Company's property and ..."
6. Representative American Plays by Arthur Hobson Quinn (1917)
"hudson nods.) I say, was I right to help him? (hudson nods again.) If he was here, he would yust tell you the same thing any way, because— (Suddenly ..."