Definition of Hunan
1. Noun. A province in southeastern central China between the Nan Ling mountains and the Chang Jiang; noted for its timber and valuable mineral resources.
Generic synonyms: Province, State
Group relationships: Cathay, China, Communist China, Mainland China, People's Republic Of China, Prc, Red China
Definition of Hunan
1. Proper noun. A province of the People's Republic of China, located in the middle reaches of the Yangtze River and south of Lake Dongting. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hunan Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hunan
Literary usage of Hunan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Missionary Review of the World by James Lutzweiler (1901)
"hunan, their visits to the province as preachers and colporteurs have been ... The noble work of the native colporteurs in hunan, carried on for many years ..."
2. Griffith John: The Story of Fifty Years in China by Ralph Wardlaw Thompson (1906)
"The province of hunan was for many years the stronghold of Chinese conservatism. When all the other provinces of the Empire had opened their gates to the ..."
3. The Chinese Repository edited by Elijah Coleman Bridgman, Samuel Wells Willaims (1850)
"Topography of the province of hunan ; its arta. population. Inkei, rivers, mountains, productions ... THE southern of the Two Lake provinces ii called hunan ..."
4. Treaties and Agreements with and Concerning China, 1894-1919: A Collection by John Van Antwerp MacMurray (1921)
"... in six parts in English and Chinese one copy to be retained by the Hukuang Viceroy, one copy by the Canton Viceroy, one copy by the hunan Governor, ..."
5. The Provinces of China: Together with a History of the First Year of H.I.M by Clarence Dalrymple Bruce (1910)
"hunan, ie "South of the Lake" is bounded by Hupeh on the north, ... It is reckoned that one tenth of the population of hunan still consists of aborigines, ..."
6. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1909)
"The hunan. Similar expansion took place Picid fr°m each °f the other ports. This 1860-06 period of missions is full of important political events so ..."