Definition of Hydrocharis morsus-ranae
1. Noun. European floating plant with roundish heart-shaped leaves and white flowers.
Group relationships: Genus Hydrocharis, Hydrocharis
Generic synonyms: Aquatic Plant, Hydrophyte, Hydrophytic Plant, Water Plant
Hydrocharis Morsus-ranae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hydrocharis Morsus-ranae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hydrocharis Morsus-ranae
Literary usage of Hydrocharis morsus-ranae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Goebel, Isaac Bayley Balfour (1905)
"The roots of Lemna minor and L. trisulca, Azolla filiculoides and Hydrocharis Morsus-ranae, all swimming water-plants, show for example in a normally moist ..."
2. Botanical Gazette by University of Chicago, JSTOR (Organization) (1916)
"The rest period of the buds of Hydrocharis Morsus- ranae could be shortened by wounding and lengthened by darkness. Hydrocharis formed buds the entire ..."
3. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy by Royal Irish Academy (1901)
"hydrocharis morsus-ranae L. Frog-bit. Census 13—East 6, Centre 4, West 3. 9 Clare Ennis plentiful '85-6—Stewart 863. 15 Galw. SE. Portumna '98—P. 21 Dublin ..."
4. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1916)
"... as it is shown by the formation of vacuoles in the protoplasm which is pressed out from a young root hair of Hydrocharis morsus- ranae when it ..."