Definition of Hymenean
1. pertaining to marriage [adj] - See also: marriage
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hymenean Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hymenean
Literary usage of Hymenean
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Partiall Law: A Tragi-comedy by Bertram Dobell (1908)
"Line 9. the hymenean rights. The two forms, " rites " and " rights " were used ... hymenean ..."
2. The Monthly Review by Ralph Griffiths (1809)
"... which I may not pourtray; For never did the hymenean moon A paradise of hearts more sacred sway, In all that slept beneath her soft voluptuous ray. ..."
3. A Complete Dictionary of the English Language, Both with Regard to Sound and ...by Thomas Sheridan by Thomas Sheridan (1790)
"hymenean, him-ynè'-àe. A marriage fong. HYMENEAL, him-yné'-àl. hymenean, hlm-y-nc'-an. Pertaining to marriage. 7 Ja* HYMN, him', f. ..."
4. A Critical Pronouncing Dictionary, and Expositor of the English Language ...by John Walker by John Walker (1806)
"1 he god of marriage ; the virginal membrane. HYMENEAL, hi-mè-né'âl. hymenean, hi-mè-nè'ân. ... hymenean, hî-mè-nè'an. Pertaining to marriage. ..."
5. Pennsylvania Dutch: A Dialect of South German with an Infusion of English by Samuel Stehman Haldeman (1872)
"hymenean and hymeneal are, by some writers, accented on the last ... Milton has hymenean, PL 4, 711. Milton's line " Epicurean, and the Stoic severe," P. ..."