Definition of Indian bean
1. Noun. Tree of the genus Catalpa with large leaves and white flowers followed by long slender pods.
Group relationships: Genus Catalpa
Specialized synonyms: Catalpa Bignioides, Catalpa Speciosa
Generic synonyms: Bean Tree
2. Noun. Perennial twining vine of Old World tropics having trifoliate leaves and racemes of fragrant purple pea-like flowers followed by maroon pods of edible seeds; grown as an ornamental and as a vegetable on the Indian subcontinent; sometimes placed in genus Dolichos.
Group relationships: Genus Lablab, Lablab
Generic synonyms: Vine
Indian Bean Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Indian Bean Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Indian Bean
Literary usage of Indian bean
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Landscape Gardening: Notes and Suggestions on Lawns and Lawn Planting by Samuel Parsons (1895)
"... which is thoroughly healthy in America, as it is also attractive in very late fall and even winter. indian bean. ..."
2. Our Trees, how to Know Them by Clarence Moores Weed (1918)
"THE EASTERN CATALPA OR indian bean THE Catalpa is one of the few trees which rivals the Horse-Chestnut in glorious beauty during the period of blossoming. ..."
3. London Trees: Being an Account of the Trees that Succeed in London, with a by Angus Duncan Webster (1920)
"Catalpa or indian bean (Catalpa bignonioides) THIS is one of the best trees for planting in smoky localities, while for ornamental effect it has few equals, ..."