Definition of Intersexuality
1. Noun. having the physical features of both sexes ¹
2. Noun. the state in which biological sex cannot be classified as belonging to one gender or the other ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Intersexuality
1. Intersexuality in humans refers to intermediate or atypical combinations of physical features that usually distinguish male from female. An intersex organism may have biological characteristics of both the male and female sexes. Intersexuality is the term adopted by medicine during the 20th century applied to human beings whose biological sex cannot be classified as either male or female. Intersexuality is also the word adopted by the identity-political movement, to criticize medical protocols in sex assignment and to claim the right to be heard in the construction of a new one.
Medical Definition of Intersexuality
1. The condition of having both male and female characteristics; being intermediate between the sexes. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Intersexuality Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Intersexuality
Literary usage of Intersexuality
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Taboo and Genetics: A Study of the Biological, Sociological and by Melvin Moses Knight (1920)
"... Old ideas of intersexuality; Modern surgery and human intersexes; Quantitative theory a Mendelian explanation; Peculiar complication in the ease of man; ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1916)
"In my experiments on intersexuality in the gipsy- moth an almost complete ... Now up to a certain degree of intersexuality these individuals behave sexually ..."
3. An Introduction to Cytology by Lester Whyland Sharp (1921)
"All the intersexual flies are modified females and show the same grade of intersexuality. Sturtevant believes the condition to be due to the action of a ..."
4. Botanical Abstracts by Board of Control of Botanical Abstracts (1921)
"(In an earlier paper he attributed intersexes to unfavorable nutrition during a sexual cycle.) intersexuality is inherited, but in most irregular fashion. ..."
5. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by Anna Lorraine Guthrie, Marion A. Knight, H.W. Wilson Company, Estella E. Painter (1920)
"... also Hermaphroditism Sex (biology) Experimental intersexuality and the sex- problem. R: Goldschmidt. ..."
6. Chemical Abstracts by American Chemical Society (1916)
"A study of the different grades of intersexuality produced by breeding of hybrids shows that every step leading from a normal female through the different ..."
7. The American Year Book: A Record of Events and Progress by Francis Graham Wickware, (, Albert Bushnell Hart, (, Simon Newton Dexter North, William M. Schuyler (1918)
"Goldschmidt has advanced the idea of intersexuality and holds that both sexes contain the factors for each вех. Which factors become potent depends on the ..."