Definition of Ivory plant
1. Noun. A stemless palm tree of Brazil and Peru bearing ivory nuts.
Generic synonyms: Feather Palm
Group relationships: Genus Phytelephas, Phytelephas
Terms within: Apple Nut, Ivory Nut, Vegetable Ivory
Ivory Plant Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ivory Plant Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ivory Plant
Literary usage of Ivory plant
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Capitals of Spanish America by William Eleroy Curtis (1888)
"... which shortens the time a day, and the distance by saddle thirty VEGETABLE ivory plant. miles. In describing the journey Mr. Scruggs, recently United ..."
2. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"Some of the species are grown in this country on account of the beauty of their leaves. [AS] PHYTELEPHAS. The ivory plant ..."
3. The MAGAZINE of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries and (1856)
"This is the celebrated ivory plant, so called from its nuts supplying the ... The ivory plant is nearly allied to the palms. Its growth is confined to the ..."
4. In the Trades, the tropics & the roaring forties. Popular ed by Annie baroness Brassey (1886)
"The vegetable-ivory plant ... The leaves of the vegetable-ivory plant are used by the Indians as thatch for their huts. ..."
5. Report of the Secretary of Agriculture by United States Dept. of Agriculture (1890)
"The vegetable ivory plant, a native of the northern parts of South America. The fruit consists of a collection of six or seven drupes; each contains from ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Ivory plant