Definition of Jack
1. Noun. A small worthless amount. "You don't know jack"
Generic synonyms: Small Indefinite Amount, Small Indefinite Quantity
2. Verb. Lift with a special device. "Jack up the car so you can change the tire"
3. Noun. A man who serves as a sailor.
Specialized synonyms: Able Seaman, Able-bodied Seaman, Bo's'n, Bo'sun, Boatswain, Bos'n, Bosun, Deckhand, Roustabout, Helmsman, Steerer, Steersman, Bargee, Bargeman, Lighterman, Officer, Ship's Officer, Pilot, Sea Lawyer, Whaler
Generic synonyms: Crewman, Sailor
Derivative terms: Seamanly, Seamanship
4. Verb. Hunt with a jacklight. "In the summer they like to go out and jack"
5. Noun. Someone who works with their hands; someone engaged in manual labor.
Specialized synonyms: Agricultural Laborer, Agricultural Labourer, Bracero, Cleaner, Day Laborer, Day Labourer, Digger, Dishwasher, Drudge, Galley Slave, Navvy, Peon, Gandy Dancer, Gravedigger, Hewer, Hand, Hired Hand, Hired Man, Hod Carrier, Hodman, Gipsy, Gypsy, Itinerant, Faller, Feller, Logger, Lumberjack, Lumberman, Miner, Mineworker, Mule Driver, Mule Skinner, Muleteer, Skinner, Platelayer, Tracklayer, Porter, Rail-splitter, Splitter, Sawyer, Section Hand, Sprayer, Stacker, Steeplejack, Dock Worker, Dock-walloper, Docker, Dockhand, Dockworker, Loader, Longshoreman, Lumper, Stevedore, Fireman, Stoker, Woodcutter, Wrecker, Yardman
Generic synonyms: Working Man, Working Person, Workingman, Workman
Derivative terms: Labor, Labor, Labour
6. Noun. Immense East Indian fruit resembling breadfruit; it contains an edible pulp and nutritious seeds that are commonly roasted.
Generic synonyms: Edible Fruit
Group relationships: Artocarpus Heterophyllus, Jackfruit, Jackfruit Tree
7. Noun. A small ball at which players aim in lawn bowling.
8. Noun. An electrical device consisting of a connector socket designed for the insertion of a plug.
9. Noun. Game equipment consisting of one of several small six-pointed metal pieces that are picked up while bouncing a ball in the game of jacks.
10. Noun. Small flag indicating a ship's nationality.
11. Noun. One of four face cards in a deck bearing a picture of a young prince.
12. Noun. Tool for exerting pressure or lifting.
13. Noun. Any of several fast-swimming predacious fishes of tropical to warm temperate seas.
Generic synonyms: Carangid, Carangid Fish
Specialized synonyms: Caranx Hippos, Crevalle Jack, Jack Crevalle, Caranx Bartholomaei, Yellow Jack, Blue Runner, Caranx Crysos, Runner, Elagatis Bipinnulata, Rainbow Runner, Leatherjack, Leatherjacket, Alectis Ciliaris, Thread-fish, Threadfish, Amberfish, Amberjack, Seriola Dorsalis, Yellowtail, Banded Rudderfish, Rudderfish, Seriola Zonata, Kingfish, Seriola Grandis
14. Noun. Male donkey.
Definition of Jack
1. n. A large tree, the Artocarpus integrifolia, common in the East Indies, closely allied to the breadfruit, from which it differs in having its leaves entire. The fruit is of great size, weighing from thirty to forty pounds, and through its soft fibrous matter are scattered the seeds, which are roasted and eaten. The wood is of a yellow color, fine grain, and rather heavy, and is much used in cabinetwork. It is also used for dyeing a brilliant yellow.
2. n. A familiar nickname of, or substitute for, John.
3. n. A coarse and cheap mediæval coat of defense, esp. one made of leather.
4. n. A pitcher or can of waxed leather; -- called also black jack.
5. v. i. To hunt game at night by means of a jack. See 2d Jack,
6. v. t. To move or lift, as a house, by means of a jack or jacks. See 2d Jack,
Definition of Jack
1. Proper noun. (given name male ), also used as a pet form of John. ¹
2. Proper noun. (informal) A sailor. ¹
3. Proper noun. (informal archaic) a soldier ¹
4. Noun. (slang) Jack Daniel's, a brand of American whiskey. ¹
5. Noun. A mechanical device used to raise and (temporarily) support a heavy object. ¹
6. Noun. A man or men in general. ¹
7. Noun. A male animal. ¹
8. Noun. (card games) The card ranking between the (term ten) and (term queen) of any suit, picturing a knave or prince on its face. In some card games has a value of eleven based on its rank, but in many card games has a value of ten like the ''ten'', ''queen'', and (term king) cards. Also called a ''knave''. ¹
9. Noun. (archaic) A knave (a servant or later, a deceitful man). ¹
10. Noun. (zoology) A male ass. ¹
11. Noun. A surface-mounted connector for electrical, especially telecommunications, equipment. ¹
12. Noun. (sports) A target ball in bowls, etc; a jack-ball. ¹
13. Noun. (games) A small, six-pointed playing piece used in the game of jacks. ¹
14. Noun. (colloquial) Nothing, jackshit. ¹
15. Noun. (nautical) A small flag at the bow of a ship. ¹
16. Noun. (nautical) A naval ensign flag flown from the main mast, mizzen mast, or the aft-most major mast of (especially) British sailing warships; Union Jack. ¹
17. Noun. (military) A coarse and cheap medieval coat of defense, especially one made of leather. ¹
18. Noun. (two-up) A penny with a head on both sides, used for cheating. (Reference: Sidney J. Baker, ''The Australian Language'', second edition, 1966, chapter XI section 3, page 243.) ¹
19. Noun. (slang) Money. ¹
20. Noun. (slang Appalachians) A smooth often ovoid large gravel or small cobble in a natural water course. ¹
21. Noun. A common name for the freshwater pike, green pike or pickerel. ¹
22. Noun. Large California rockfish. ¹
23. Noun. An order of marine fish in the ''Carangidae'' family. ¹
24. Noun. (obsolete nautical) A sailor; a "jack tar". ¹
25. Verb. (transitive) To use a jack. ¹
26. Verb. (transitive) To raise or increase. ¹
27. Verb. (transitive colloquial) To steal something, typically an automobile. Contraction of carjacking ¹
28. Verb. (transitive slang baseball) To hit (the ball) hard; especially, to hit (the ball) out of the field, producing a home run. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Jack
1. to raise with a type of lever [v -ED, -ING, -S]
Medical Definition of Jack
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Jack Images