Definition of Jaghires
1. Noun. (plural of jaghire) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Jaghires
1. jaghire [n] - See also: jaghire
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Jaghires Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Jaghires
jaghires (current term)
Literary usage of Jaghires
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Works of the Right Honorable Edmund Burke by Edmund Burke (1866)
"... in charge of certain considerable part of his treasures, in money and other valuable movables, as well as certain landed estates, called jaghires, ..."
2. The History of the British Empire in India by Edward Thornton (1842)
"... but he also took the opportunity of restoring to the begums a portion of the jaghires of which they had recently been violently deprived. ..."
3. The Works of the Right Honourable Edmund Burke by Edmund Burke (1827)
"They assume a variety of other false facts,—they assume, that the amount of the jaghires of the Begums were to be paid them in regular pensions, ..."
4. Speeches of the Late Right Honourable Richard Brinsley Sheridan: (Several by Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1816)
"... Mr. St. John in the chair, on the fourth charge against Mr. Hastings, viz. the resumption of the jaghires, and the confiscation of the treasures of the ..."
5. An Authentic Copy of the Correspondence in India: Between the Country Powers by East India Company, Bengal (India). Supreme Council (1787)
"... to be allowed to the proprietors, in lieu of the income of their jaghires, and not the actual amount: my ..."
6. The Land Tax of India: According to the Moohummudan Law by Neil Benjamin Edmonstone Baillie, Fatāwi 'Ālamgīrīyat (1873)
"... jaghires —early history. suppose that the ryot necessarily became entitled to the minerals contained in the soil. Having now brought down the ..."
7. The Works of ... Edmund Burke by Edmund Burke (1827)
"... and these be paid the " amount of the net collections of their jaghires " agreeably to the second article of the late " treaty, through the medium of ..."
8. Illustrations to Oriental Memoirs by James Forbes (1834)
"... and the Hindoo Religion—H uman Sacrifices—Contrasted with Christianity—jaghires and different Tenures in Guzerat—Scale of Oriental Despotism—Mahratta ..."