Definition of Jatropha urens
1. Noun. A stinging herb of tropical America.
Generic synonyms: Herb, Herbaceous Plant
Group relationships: Cnidoscolus, Genus Cnidoscolus
Medical Definition of Jatropha urens
1. A species of South America; the macerated fresh leaves are used as a rubefacient and stimulating poultice; the seeds furnish a purgative oil. (05 Mar 2000)
Jatropha Urens Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Jatropha Urens Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Jatropha Urens
Literary usage of Jatropha urens
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Notes by a Naturalist on the "Challenger": Being an Account of Various by Henri Nottidge Moseley (1879)
"... to save a fall it is not at all improbable that one lays hold of a vigorous plant of jatropha urens, which can show no quarter even if it had the will. ..."
2. Publication by Field Columbian Museum (1902)
"jatropha urens Linn. Chay. Chaya. Climbing 40 feet. Commonly cultivated at Izamal, producing the edible Chay of the market (604). ..."
3. The Encyclopedia of Pure Materia Medica: A Record of the Positive Effects of by Timothy Field Allen (1877)
"jatropha urens. jatropha urens. (The most poisonous plant known.), Natural order, Euphorbiaceae. Authority. Kew Gardens Quarterly Rev., Dec. ..."
4. Dermatitis Venenata: An Account of the Action of External Irritants Upon the by James Clarke White (1887)
"A decoction applied to the skin causes irritation and vesication. According to Piffard, it produces severe swelling of the face. jatropha urens. ..."