Definition of Katar
1. Noun. An Arab country on the peninsula of Qatar; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1971; the economy is dominated by oil.
Group relationships: Arab League, Opec, Organization Of Petroleum-exporting Countries
Generic synonyms: Asian Country, Asian Nation
Group relationships: Gulf States, Katar Peninsula, Qatar, Qatar Peninsula, Asia
Terms within: Bida, Capital Of Qatar, Doha, El Beda
Member holonyms: Katari, Qatari
2. Noun. A peninsula extending northward from the Arabian mainland into the Persian Gulf.
Group relationships: Arabia, Arabian Peninsula
Terms within: Qatar, State Of Katar, State Of Qatar
Generic synonyms: Peninsula
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Katar Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Katar
Literary usage of Katar
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Description of Indian and Oriental Armour: Illustrated from the Collection by Wilbraham Egerton Egerton (1896)
"Two DAGGERS ; " katar ;" one concealed within the other. The larger blade is hollow and acts as a sheath to the smaller one, the side- guards of which are ..."
2. An Illustrated Handbook of Indian Arms: Being a Classified and Descriptive by Indian Museum, Wilbraham Egerton Egerton (1880)
"DAGGER ; "katar;" blade chiselled in low relief, with representation of a tiger hunt. ... katar." Blade figured in relief pursuing a foot soldier. ..."
3. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain) (1900)
"... (23) Forest-clad hills near katar, with Persian mountains in distance; ... (27) Usine de katar; (28) f'iew from the Usine de katar, showing snow ..."