Definition of Kobus
1. Noun. African antelopes: waterbucks.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Bovidae, Family Bovidae
Member holonyms: Waterbuck
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Kobus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Kobus
Literary usage of Kobus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of Ruminant Mammalia: (Pecora, Linnæus) in the British Museum by John Edward Gray (1872)
"BM Brownish; rump with a whitish elliptical ring near the base of the tail. Horns converging at the tip. kobus ellipsiprymnus, Gray, Cat. ..."
2. History of South Africa: The Republics and Native Territories from 1854 to 1872 by George McCall Theal (1900)
"... and robberies committed by Scheel kobus—Alliance of Goliath ... South African Republic—Expedition against Scheel kobus—Massacre of prisoners —Expedition ..."
3. Travels in Central Africa, and Explorations of the Western Nile Tributaries by John Petherick, Katherine Harriet Edlman Petherick (1869)
"Mr. Gray called it kobus Maria, after his wife, who had so assisted him in his studies, and described it thus: Head of male, blackish-brown; lips, chin, ..."
4. The Universal Anthology: A Collection of the Best Literature, Ancient by Richard Garnett, Leon Vallée, Alois Brandl (1899)
"I hear it, kobus ; that gives me pleasure — I am content." He looked at Fritz as if he would read to the bottom of his heart, and kobus felt in such a state ..."
5. An Encyclopædia of Trees and Shrubs: Being the Arboretum Et Fruticetum by John Claudius Loudon (1842)
"M. kobus Dec. and G. Don; M. tomentosa Than, in Lin. Trans. Kaempf. Icon., t.42. ; Par. Lon., t. 87. — The two main points of difference between it and M. ..."
6. The International Library of Famous Literature: Selections from the World's by Richard Garnett, Leon Vallée, Alois Brandl, Donald Grant Mitchell (1899)
"Mr. kobus ! what are you thinking of ? I should be sure to overturn the wagon! ... On the contrary, Mr. kobus, I like it greatly, but although mild to the ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Kobus