Definition of Labor department
1. Noun. The federal department responsible for promoting the working conditions of wage earners in the United States; created in 1913.
Generic synonyms: Executive Department
Terms within: Occupational Safety And Health Administration, Osha
Labor Department Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Labor Department Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Labor Department
Literary usage of Labor department
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"LABOR, Department of. A government department of the United States ... See LABOR, DEPARTMENT OF. LABOR BUREAUS. Nearly every State in the Union has a labor ..."
2. Bulletin of the Department of Labor by United States Dept. of Labor (1905)
"(Published by the labor department of the British Board of Trade.) The report on strikes tind lockouts in the United Kingdom, prepared by the labor ..."
3. War-time Strikes and Their Adjustment by Alexander M. Bing (1921)
"CHAPTER XH United States labor department and State Boards PRE-WAR labor adjustment activities of the labor department of the Federal Government and the ..."
4. Social Workers' Guide to the Serial Publications of Representative Social by Elsie Mitchell Rushmore, Russell Sage Foundation (1921)
"Labor, Department of Illinois. Labor statistics bureau Illinois. ... labor department Minnesota. Labor and industries, Department of Missouri. ..."
5. The Yale Review by Yale University, George Park Fisher, George Burton Adams, Henry Walcott Farnam, Arthur Twining Hadley, John Christopher Schwab, William Fremont Blackman, Edward Gaylord Bourne, Irving Fisher, Henry Crosby Emery, Wilbur Lucius Cross (1894)
"Years ago, largely at the instance of the late Mr. Charles Bradlaugh, Lord Salisbury's government established a labor department in connection with the ..."
6. A Handbook of United States Public Documents by Elfrida Everhart (1910)
"COMMERCE AND labor department. This was created an executive department in ... labor department. Fish Commission. Commissioner of Fish and Fisheries Office. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Labor department