Definition of Lachnolaimus
1. Noun. A genus of Labridae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Labridae, Labridae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lachnolaimus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lachnolaimus
Literary usage of Lachnolaimus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1862)
"Adult. Old Collection. 6, «. Half-grown. Dalmatia. 3. lachnolaimus. ... lachnolaimus suillus, Cuc. fy Pal. xiii. p. ..."
2. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"Genus lachnolaimus Cuvier & Valenciennes. Hog-fishes. Body much compressed; back elevated and compressed to a sharp edge; snout sharp; profile steep; ..."
3. The Technologist (1861)
"This, with some trifling differences in the dentition, forms tlieir class character. (C. & V., Hist. Natur, des Poissons, vol. il) The lachnolaimus caninus, ..."
4. The Genera of Fishes ...: A Contribution to the Stability of Scientific by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1917)
"lachnolaimus Cuvier, 257; type lachnolaimus SUILLUS Cuvier. SUILLUS of Catesby. Monotypic. Anampses Cuvier, 259; type ANAMPSES CUVIERI Quoy & Gaimard. ..."
5. The big game fishes of the United States by Charles Frederick Holder (1903)
"fishes), to the genus lachnolaimus (Cuvier and Valenciennes), and is known to science as lachnolaimus maximus (Walbaum). It is essentially a West Indian ..."