Definition of Laminectomy
1. Noun. Surgical removal of the bony arches on one or more vertebrae.
Definition of Laminectomy
1. Noun. (context: surgery) The surgical procedure to remove the bony arch or lamina from one or more vertebrae. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Laminectomy
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Laminectomy Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Laminectomy
Literary usage of Laminectomy
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by Philadelphia Neurological Society, American Neurological Association, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association (1897)
"laminectomy IN SPINAL CARIES PARAPLEGIA. By DEFOREST WILLARD, MD, Clinical Professor Orthopaedic Surgery University, of Pennsylvania; Surgeon Presby- ..."
2. The Surgical Clinics of North America by Robert E. Hermann, Avram M. Cooperman (1921)
"laminectomy AND REMOVAL OF TUMOR. COURSE UNINFLUENCED BY OPERATION IN this case, ... About two years before admission to the hospital a laminectomy was ..."
3. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics by American College of Surgeons, Franklin H. Martin Memorial Foundation (1914)
"Intramedullary glioma of the cervical cord; laminectomy, incision of cord, extrusion of tumor, removal; recovery. Result, very marked improvement with ..."
4. Anomalies and curiosities of medicine by George Milbry Gould (1898)
"Quite a tribute to the modern treatment by antisepsis is shown in the results of laminectomy. Of his non-antiseptic cases Lloyd reports a mortality of 65 ..."
5. A Manual of modern surgery, general and operative by John Chalmers Da Costa (1894)
"White says laminectomy should be performed for fracture or for dislocation ... In the operation of laminectomy the patient lies prone and a sand pillow is ..."
6. Medical Record by George Frederick Shrady, Thomas Lathrop Stedman (1895)
"Recovered after laminectomy. CASE III.—Absolute motor palsy of lower limbs and of right upper limb. Anaesthesia up to third rib. Reflexes absent on right ..."
7. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1919)
"But in spinal laminectomy the major part of the cord at the supposed site of ... With the advance in surgical technic of recent years spinal laminectomy for ..."
8. Preparatory and After Treatment in Operative Cases by Herman A. Haubold (1910)
"CHAPTER XX OPERATIONS ON THE SPINAL COLUMN laminectomy—Tuberculosis ... laminectomy laminectomy, or perhaps more properly stated, resection of the vertebral ..."