Definition of Leaf lettuce
1. Noun. Distinguished by leaves having curled or incised leaves forming a loose rosette that does not develop into a compact head.
2. Noun. Lettuce with loosely curled leaves that do not form a compact head.
Generic synonyms: Lettuce
Group relationships: Lactuca Sativa Crispa
Leaf Lettuce Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Leaf Lettuce Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leaf Lettuce
Literary usage of Leaf lettuce
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1915)
"leaf lettuce.—It was not until Eugene Davis, of Grand Rapids, Michigan, ... In cold, cloudy weather seeds sown in When leaf lettuce is sold by the pound, ..."
2. The Fruit-growers Guide-book by Ernest Howard Favor (1911)
"Lettuce Tile packages for head and leaf lettuce are somewhat different. ln the Southern states where head lettuce is grown in the open field for the ..."
3. Garden Steps: A Manual for the Amateur in Vegetable Gardening by Ernest Cobb (1917)
"BIG BOSTON LETTUCE Loose-leaf lettuce. — Loose-leaf lettuce, so called, is pretty sure to yield enough edible leaves to repay the efforts of the youngest ..."
4. School and Home Gardens by William Herman Dietrich Meier (1913)
"leaf lettuce. Leaf-lettuce seeds may be sown outside in the spring as early as the ground can be worked, for this plant will endure considerable frost. ..."
5. Farm Projects: A Textbook in Agriculture for Seventh and Eighth Grades and by Carl Colvin, John Alford Stevenson (1922)
"leaf lettuce should be sown as early as the soil is ready to be worked in the spring. The seed should be sown rather thickly in the row and thinning may be ..."
6. Growing Vegetables in the Home Garden (1993)
"Where gardeners grow leaf lettuce or desire merely the leaves and not well- developed heads, the spacing in the rows may be much closer. ..."
7. Step by Step: Eating to Lower Your High Blood Cholesterol by DIANE Publishing Company (1994)
"... unseasoned 3/4 ounce American cheese, low fat 1 leaf lettuce 3 slices tomato 2 teaspoons mayonnaise, low fat 1 medium apple 1 cup water Dinner 3 ounces ..."