Definition of Leafy vegetable
1. Noun. Any of various leafy plants or their leaves and stems eaten as vegetables.
Generic synonyms: Veg, Vegetable, Veggie
Specialized synonyms: Chop-suey Greens, Sprout, Beet Green, Chard, Leaf Beet, Spinach Beet, Swiss Chard, Salad Green, Salad Greens, Dandelion Green, Lamb's-quarter, Pigweed, Wild Spinach, Wild Spinach, Turnip Greens, Common Sorrel, Sorrel, French Sorrel, Spinach
Leafy Vegetable Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Leafy Vegetable Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leafy Vegetable
Literary usage of Leafy vegetable
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Lost Crops of Africa: Volume Ii: Vegetables by National Research Council (U. S.) (2006)
"... few of its admirers know that it is edible, let alone that it is an important leafy vegetable in parts of tropical Africa. In Nigeria, Benin, and Congo, ..."
2. Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Preventive Medicine by G. Koehler, Bernard Fantus, William Augustus Evans (1921)
"The leafy vegetable foods are useful sources of calcium, of fat-soluble vitamine, and also of iron, which many dietaries lack; but the extent of their ..."
3. Directory of Federal Laboratory and Technology Resources: A Guide to (1993)
"... leafy vegetable, muskmelon and cucurbit breeding populations suitable for use as advanced germplasm or cultivars, which are high yielding, ..."
4. Dietetics for High Schools by Florence Willard, Lucy Holcomb Gillett (1920)
"Include potatoes at least once every day, a leafy vegetable at least four times during the week, and a root vegetable at least five times during the week. ..."
5. The Bahamas: A Taste of the Islands by Paris Permenter, John Bigley (2000)
"This leafy vegetable resembles spinach and is used similarly. Don't miss the callaloo soup, usually spiced up with saltfish. The vegetable originally comes ..."
6. Gender Equality and Investments in Adolescents in the Rural Philippines by Howarth E. Bouis (1998)
"... leafy vegetable and fruit shares. It is important to note that equity in FS/ES nutrient shares does not in any way take into account nutrient ..."
7. Health Bulletin by Pennsylvania Dept. of Health (1917)
"It is likewise not easy for them to eat a sufficient amount of the leafy vegetable? to correct the faults in such a diet. The use of liberal amounts of milk ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Leafy vegetable