Definition of Lemon oil
1. Noun. Fragrant yellow oil obtained from the lemon peel.
Generic synonyms: Flavorer, Flavoring, Flavourer, Flavouring, Seasoner, Seasoning
Lemon Oil Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lemon Oil Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lemon Oil
Literary usage of Lemon oil
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annual Report by Indiana State Board of Health (1907)
"In the analysis of lemon essences or extracts we have required that at least five per cent, of pure lemon oil should be present. ..."
2. Food Inspection and Analysis: For the Use of Public Analysts, Health by Albert Ernest Leach (1920)
"The US standard for lemon extract (5% of lemon oil by volume) is a fair one. ... An extract of lemon to contain 5% of lemon oil must contain at least 80% by ..."
3. A Dictionary of Chemistry and the Allied Branches of Other Sciences by Henry Watts (1870)
"Lemon-oil dropped into a large quantity of oil of vitriol is said to ... Potassium eliminates hydrogen from lemon-oil, slowly at common temperatures, ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"lemon oil has an agreeable odor, and is used chiefly as a flavor and perfume. ... lemon oil mixes in all proportions with glacial acetic acid and with ..."
5. Food Analysis: Typical Methods and the Interpretation of Results by Alpheus Grant Woodman (1915)
"Since, however, lemon oil is nearly insoluble in dilute alcohol, ... Many of the brands on the market contain so little lemon oil that it can hardly be ..."
6. Hand-book of Chemistry by Leopold Gmelin, Henry Watts (1860)
"The compound which remains liquid after the saturation of lemon-oil with hydrochloric acid gas. The liquid is cooled to —10°, to separate the solid ..."
7. The Chemistry of Essential Oils and Artificial Perfumes by Ernest John Parry (1908)
"What actually happens is that the true lemon oil covers the poor odour of the artificial mixture, ... Users of lemon oil should not be deceived, however, ..."