Definition of Linkage

1. Noun. An associative relation.

Generic synonyms: Connectedness, Connection, Connexion
Specialized synonyms: Link, Nexus
Derivative terms: Link



2. Noun. (genetics) traits that tend to be inherited together as a consequence of an association between their genes; all of the genes of a given chromosome are linked (where one goes they all go).
Exact synonyms: Gene Linkage
Generic synonyms: Hereditary Pattern, Inheritance
Category relationships: Genetic Science, Genetics

3. Noun. A mechanical system of rods or springs or pivots that transmits power or motion.
Generic synonyms: Mechanical System
Derivative terms: Link

4. Noun. The act of linking things together.
Generic synonyms: Attachment, Fastening
Derivative terms: Link

Definition of Linkage

1. n. The act of linking; the state of being linked; also, a system of links.

Definition of Linkage

1. Noun. A mechanical device that connects things. ¹

2. Noun. A connection or relation between things or ideas. ¹

3. Noun. (genetics) The property of genes of being inherited together. ¹

4. Noun. (linguistics) A set of definitely related words for which no proto-language can be derived. ¹

¹ Source: wiktionary.com

Definition of Linkage

1. the act of linking [n -S]

Medical Definition of Linkage

1. Tendency for two or more non-allelic genes to be inherited together, because they are located more or less closely on the same chromosome. Thus parental combinations of characters are found more frequently in offspring than nonparental. Linkage is measured by the percentage recombination between loci. (04 Jul 1999)

Linkage Pictures

Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Linkage Images

Lexicographical Neighbors of Linkage

link farm
link motion
link motions
link rot
link spam
link spams
link state
link time
link topology
link up
link whore
link whores
link whoring
linkability
linkable
linkage (current term)
linkage analysis
linkage disequilibrium
linkage editor
linkage equilibrium
linkage group
linkage map
linkage marker
linkage section
linkages
linkback
linkbacks
linkboy
linkboys
linked

Literary usage of Linkage

Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:

1. The Physical Basis of Heredity by Thomas Hunt Morgan (1919)
"CHAPTER XI LIMITATION OF THE linkage GROUPS IT may be questioned whether we are at present justified in speaking of the limitation of the linkage groups to ..."

2. Genetics and Eugenics: A Text-book for Students of Biology and a Reference by William Ernest Castle, Gregor Mendel (1916)
"linkage may be defined as the tendency sometimes shown by genes to maintain in hereditary ... The number of genes in a linkage group varies in known ..."

3. Elements of Mechanism by Peter Schwamb, Allyne Litchfield Merrill, Walter Herman James (1921)
"CHAPTER X FOUR-BAR linkage. RELATIVE VELOCITIES OF RIGIDLY CONNECTED POINTS 210. The Four-Bar linkage will be discussed fully in a later chapter, ..."

4. An Introduction to Cytology by Lester Whyland Sharp (1921)
"CHAPTER XVII linkage In Chapter XV attention was directed to the remarkable parallelism which exists between the distribution of the Mendelian characters ..."

5. Developmental Impact of Rural Infrastructure in Bangladesh by Raisuddin Ahmed, Mahabub Hossain (1990)
"linkage BETWEEN INFRASTRUCTURE AND CONSUMPTION About 14 percent of household income in rural Bangladesh is saved and the remaining 86 percent is spent on ..."

6. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1922)
"This phenomenon is also likely to disturb Mendelian ratios, causing partial linkage. This last statement points out clearly the possibility of just such ..."

7. Genetics; an Introduction to the Study of Heredity by Herbert Eugene Walter (1922)
"LINEAGE IN OTHER ORGANISMS The phenomenon of linkage has already been observed ... Even in Mendel's classic peas White demonstrated four linkage groups of ..."

Other Resources Relating to: Linkage

Search for Linkage on Dictionary.com!Search for Linkage on Thesaurus.com!Search for Linkage on Google!Search for Linkage on Wikipedia!

Search