Definition of Linnaea
1. Noun. One species: twinflower.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Caprifoliaceae, Family Caprifoliaceae, Honeysuckle Family
Member holonyms: Linnaea Borealis, Twinflower, American Twinflower, Linnaea Borealis Americana
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Linnaea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Linnaea
Literary usage of Linnaea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Travels in Various Countries of Europe, Asia and Africa by Edward Daniel Clarke (1824)
"... OF BOTHNIA. in : Dr. Solander—Gamla Stad—First Intelligence of Acerbi— Change in the Language—Process for obtaining Tar->- . linnaea Borealis—Remarkable ..."
2. Synoptical Flora of North America by Asa Gray (1897)
"Leaflets grayish-pubescent below, mostly bluntly toothed, and inflorescence elongated. — A. pubescens, Schlect. linnaea, x. 251. ..."
3. Library of the World's Best Literature: Ancient and Modern by Edward Cornelius Towne (1897)
"then stooped and plucked a specimen and said, "Isn't that linnaea? ... Then finding some of the withered flowers, he exclaimed, " It is linnaea. ..."
4. The Warner Library by Charles Dudley Warner, Harry Morgan Ayres, John William Cunliffe, Helen Rex Keller, Gerhard Richard Lomer (1917)
"then stooped and plucked a specimen and said, «Isn't that linnaea ? ... Then finding some of the withered flowers, he exclaimed, " It is linnaea. ..."
5. Transactions of the South African Philosophical Society by Royal Society of South Africa (1878)
"In linnaea, Pages 339—356 contain a comparison of ... In linnaea, vol. xv. Halle, 1841. 8vo. pp. 351—76. Libr. ..."