Definition of Listers
1. Noun. (plural of lister) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Listers
1. lister [n] - See also: lister
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Listers Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Listers
Literary usage of Listers
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Public Records of the Colony of Connecticut [1636-1776] by Connecticut, Connecticut General Assembly, Connecticut Council, Council of Safety (Conn.)., James Hammond Trumbull, Charles Jeremy Hoadly (1885)
"But when it appears that any persons have been unsuccessful or sustained considerable losses in their trade, in such cases the listers may make proper ..."
2. New England Town Law: A Digest of Statutes and Decisions Concerning Towns by James Smith Garland (1906)
"A notice by listers of the time and place of hearing persons aggrieved is good, ... It is not the duty of the listers to notify persona whom they assess for ..."
3. A Digest of Taxation in the States: Under Three Heads, 1. Mode Or Machinery by Alfred Billings Street, James A. Bell (1863)
"The listers may examine him on oath relative .to application and ... The listers are authorized to administer oaths in discharge of their official duties. ..."
4. The Public Records of the State of Connecticut by Connecticut, Forrest Morgan, Leonard Woods Labaree, Charles Jeremy Hoadly, Connecticut General Assembly, Connecticut Council of Safety (1895)
"That listers chosen in any town shall take the oath by law provided for such officers. And for enabling said listers to recover their part of the fourfold ..."
5. Connecticut as a Corporate Colony by Nelson Prentiss Mead (1906)
"At a specified time, one of the listers (later a deputy of the General Court) from each town, met at Hartford for the purpose of correcting and equalizing ..."
6. Bouvier's Law Dictionary and Concise Encyclopedia by John Bouvier, Francis Rawle (1914)
"listers. This word is used iu some of the states to designate the persons appointed to make lists of taxables. See Vt Rev. Stat. LITE PENDENTE. ..."