Definition of Lunaria
1. Noun. Small genus of European herbs: honesty.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Brassicaceae, Cruciferae, Family Brassicaceae, Family Cruciferae, Mustard Family
Member holonyms: Honesty, Lunaria Annua, Money Plant, Satin Flower, Satinpod, Silver Dollar
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lunaria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lunaria
Literary usage of Lunaria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Ferns: British and Exotic by Edward Joseph Lowe (1864)
"... lunaria, is a native of Great ... Sprengel enumerates— B. lunaria, Swartz, Europe. — australe, Brown, New Holland. ..."
2. The Flower Garden: Or, Breck's Book of Flowers ; in which are Described All by Joseph Breck (1859)
"lunaria biennis. — Honesty is an old-fashioned plant, flowering the second year from ... lunaria is from luna, the moon, in allusion to the broad, round, ..."
3. Flora Domestica, Or, The Portable Flower-garden: With Directions for the by Elizabeth Kent, Leigh Hunt (1831)
"Italian, lunaria.—German and Dutch, a variety of names, most of which have ... THE Italian name lunaria, and the English name Moon- wort, were given to this ..."
4. Modern Russian Poetry by Babette Deutsch (1921)
"SONNET XV (From the Sonnet-cycle "lunaria") Pure pearl of silence brooding on the sky, Presider o'er conception, lamp of dreams, Altar of nightly spells, ..."